Admitting failure or defeat is scary. But in the name of starting off the new year fearlessly, I admit that I’m an abject failure. At least in terms of the goals I set for 2015:
- Take 52 photos and write 52 blog posts to accompany photos – according to Lightroom, I have 1,400+ photos from 2015 (the ones I’ve kept so far). But did I post a photo a week? Not even close. Instead of 52 blog posts, a measly 11.
- 12 stories or articles – Nope.
- One novel – Negative. I am closer to finishing novels 2 and 3, but not done with either.
- Read 30 books – Only 25. Since I’ve been keeping track, I’ve averaged 26 books a year and maxed 29.
But I did taste some success in 2015:
- I got published! One of my stories was chosen for this anthology.
- I knit seven chemo caps – I actually exceeded this goal by one hat. It doesn’t help me professionally, but knitting lifts my mood and lowers my stress level.
- We moved into our house! Finally.
- Our Christmas card photo was the hit of the season.
- A photo a day, just for me. Everyday, I’m photographing something I’m grateful for. I know it sounds like a whole lot of woo, but I figure there’s nothing like stopping to acknowledge the good in my life to counteract failures and frustrations.
- The resurgence of WTF Wednesdays. Not every Wednesday, but I have a closet full of boxes that I’ve promised myself I’d weed through this year or chuck ‘em in the trash. Those papers, photos, ephemera, and flotsam are sure to contain a WTF or two.
- Read 30 books. One year! One year, this is going to happen.